NAPLES HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Preserving Naples History and Heritage for the Community and
Future Generations to Enjoy.
History of the Naples Historical Society
The Naples Historical Society was started in 1962. The year 2012 marks the Society's 50th Anniversary. Since its inception, the Society has contributed numerous noteworthy things to the community. The following are examples:
- Created and paid for what is now the Collier County Museum and donated it to the County,
- Purchased and restored what is now Historic Palm Cottage and had it placed in the National Register of Historic Places (saving what is now the oldest house in Naples from being torn down for a parking lot),
- Worked with City, State and Federal Governments to create the Old Naples Historic District and had it officially recorded as such at the federal level,
- Implemented substantial preservation projects that will benefit the community for generations to come,
- Purchased the lot next to Palm Cottage and created The Norris Gardens at Palm Cottage (thus preventing a large new house from being built on the site next to Palm Cottage).
- Recently acquired an historical house, a Contribuiting Structure, located in the Naples Historic District to support program expansion.
As everyone who is familiar with Naples knows, historic preservation in our town is not easy. It takes planning, work, education and funds. While it is difficult, we are recording successes and we need to keep moving forward so future generations will be able to share our history.
The key to future success is sustainability. That means having financial resources available to ensure the future success of the organization. This is where Planned Giving and the Endowment Program come into play. They are crucial to the future of the Society since no government support or public funding flows to the organization. Private donors are its lifeblood.
We Invite You to Help Preserve the History of Naples
Naples Historical Society is a 501(c)3 non-profit charitable organization that relies totally on dues and donations from the community for its existence.
In order to perpetuate the organization for future generations, the Naples Historical Society Foundation, Inc. has been established. We invite you to become a part of it through its endowment and the Palm Cottage Society.
You can join us in our preservation efforts by donating any amount. You can become a member of the Palm Cottage Society simply by making an outright or planned gift arrangement of $10,000 or more to the endowment.
Palm Cottage Society benefits include:
Methods of Participation
- Recognition as a member of the Palm Cottage Society
- Annual invitation to an exclusive reception for Palm Cottage Society members
- Lifetime membership in Naples Historical Society and all of the benefits associated with it
- Personal satisfaction that goes with contributing to the preservation of Naples history
There are numerous tax advantages and creative ways to structure an endowment gift to become a member of the Palm Cottage Society.
The Society's Planned Giving Committee and its institutional partner, Community Foundation of Collier County, are available to work with you and your advisors in structuring a gift that accomplishes your objectives.
==> Outright gift to Naples Historical Society,
==> Bequest or provision in your will naming the NHS Foundation, Inc. as the beneficiary,
==> Charitable gift annuity,
==> Charitable trust.
Call the Naples Historical Society office today to learn more about the NHS Foundation and the Palm Cottage Society: 239-261-8164.
A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION (#CH33901) AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1(800)435-7352 WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.